Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Everyone Loves Pie

So, last night, after 20 years of marriage my darling wife agrees to play
Pathfinder with her 19, 17 and 44 year old children.  The kids and I have been egging her on for the past week to get her to play with the familiar barrage of, "don't you want to spend time with the family?" type soliloqies she normally uses on us.

Submitting to the familial pressure she ends up rolling up "Jasmine" the druid to complement the family's coterie of Davian Lightbringer, human cleric of Iomedae; Micha half elf rogue; and Tirnaug Llachhammer dwarven fighter.

Apparently "Jasmine" sounds sufficiently "nature"ly.

What followed was a combination of perhaps some of most fun and frustrating roleplaying I could have asked for.

I chose a relatively simple module, D0 - Hollow's Last Hope to serve as an introduction. 


For those unfamiliar with the story; the logging town of Falcon's Hollow has been beset by a fearsome plague called the "blackscour" which becomes lethal in days.  A local alchemist has a page out of her grandmother's tome that hints at a cure and asks the players to go into the nearby wood, Darkmoon Vale to find the 3 ingredients; Elderwood moss, pickled rat's tail (a root) and ironbloom mushrooms.

After hearing of the various locations our druid was the only person who appears to have both knowledge geography and knowledge nature but due to some horrible rolls was unable to discern any locations.  We later learned upon close observation that she chose to roll a d10 vice a d20 to check her skills; all dice look alike when they have 10 or more sides.  No worries I simply layed out her set of dice in numerical order tossing the offending 20 sided D10 over my shoulder and continued on.

With our druid unfamiliar with the small forest of darkmoon vale, the party, under the militaristic leadership of my eldest, decided to head out to one of the principle logging camps and see if they could get direction.
Seeing an armed and armored band approach; the surly lumberjacks with axes in hand rallied to drive off the brigands or worse case infected townspeople.

Then the humor set in.

Demanding, not asking for, assistance my daughter's scrappy rogue begins pulling out her blades (chaotic neutral) in preparation for a fight that her insults are bringing; My son is tossing around his best "I am the holy son of Iomedae; you dare risk the wrath of the God's humble servant" speech.  My wife's contribution to the poor treatment by the lumberjacks?

"My cat doesn't like you", Jasmine utters. (Her animal companion is a cheetah)
Everyone pauses and the first chuckle starts.

Hearing the uproar at the edge of camp, the foreman arrives (a GM fiat to prevent the unplanned melee since they were given specific recommendation to ask for him back in town; and thusly failed to do so)  Describing him as a Vitto Mortensen with a braided beard; my wife utters, "oh he's cute" and completely breaks the tension as she sais, "Do I know you?  Have we met before" winking.

My daughter completely baffled and blushing and tells her, "Mooooom, you cannot...flirt with him..." 

"Why not?  I'm 22 by my character sheet, young and he's obviously ruggedly handsome"

"I won't get any loot if we don't fight!"

"We don't want to fight, we just want answers, we're on a quest not a date!" my son intervenes the two of them.

So the foreman attempts to drive them and their "unchained beast" off into the woods;
     "You're probably infected...."
     "We don't need armed brigands in our camp..."
     "A camp is no place for wild beasts, etc, etc..."

to which my wife very sweetly utters, "If I bake you a blueberry pie, will you tell us what we need to know?"

Yes, everyone pauses mid sentence and looks at "Jasmine."

"A pie mom?" My son asks incredulously.

"You're a druid, at the edge of a dark forest, where the heck are you gonna get a pie??" queries my daughter.

"Well everyone likes pie, and if I bake him one he'll be nice and help us."

I couldn't help but let her role a diplomacy check, with a grin on my face amidst everyones laughter, in light of that sound logic and of course she lands like an 18.
The scene concluded with the foreman sketching them directions to key locations within the vale and the family bedding down at the edge of the forest for the night.
Afterwards, when the session had ended, I had to have a talk with her regarding the druids relationship to nature and the forest; and how the huge blight upon the land which was caused by the lumberjacks cutting and how the scarring of the earth would appear to her. 

"A demand of planting some trees for every so many cut down would be more in her character." I mentioned.

She ignored that part of the description read to her initially, about druids... and the whole.. "nature thing" apparently liking the picture of the cute gnome next to the leopard in the Core rule book served as the basis for her character choice.
She knitted her brows pensively and said," oh I wouldn't have baked him a pie then knowing that."  

I definitly learned one thing about roleplaying;

While there may not be a druid in the mother; you cannot take the mom out of the druid.

Oh... and everyone loves pie, apparently.



1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! I love this story.

    I recently convinced my wife to game with me and the kids. My kids are young (12, 8) and it was the first gaming experience for the 8 year old as well as my wife. It wasn't as funny as what you told, but I got a couple of chuckless. My wife got really good at detecting magic every chance she got!

    ReplyDelete